Sunday 11 January 2015

Longing for Spring ....

Like many of you, I buy things and don't seem to use them, well my mission in 2015 is to be a lot more selective with my crafty purchases and to use the huge stash I already have.So having looked at my button collection I thought it was about time to put some of them to good use.

It's cold and miserable here in the UK and I am longing for warm spring days when I can sit out in my garden with a nice glass of wine. With that thought as my inspiration I decided to use a selection of spring flower buttons that I have had in my stash for years, and make some coasters to use when I am outside in my garden.


I took four square coasters, (designed and made in the UK by Candy Box Crafts) painted them with some white gesso and allowed them to dry. I then select my buttons, making sure that they were all the same thickness to make my coasters were level - I don't want my glass of wine to tip over.

I then did a dry run with my buttons and placed them where I wanted them to go, trying hard not to have two of the same buttons next to each other. Once I was happy with the layout I glued them in place with wet glue.

After the glue had dried I used some texture paste to fill in the gaps in between - it was a bit like grouting tiles. After the grunge paste had dried I cleaned the excess paste off  my buttons.

They may not be every ones taste but I love them and cant wait to use them.


2 comments:

  1. These are amazing Deborah. I love anything with buttons and this is a fab way to use them x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deborah they are gorgeous a great way to use up some of your stash. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete